Interview Tip: Applying the Seven Elements of Storytelling
April 19th, 2010 by lewisTweet
Storytelling is an important technique for any successful job interview candidate. Stories are engaging, easy-to-understand, and easy-to-remember.
- What is your story’s goal?
- Who is the target audience?
- What is the target vehicle and rationale?
- Who is the messenger or spokesperson?
- Can you lead with credible data or research?
- Do you have a news hook?
- Can you tie-in your story with a current event or trend?
- What is the business or industry environment?
- What’s the mood of your customers and employees?
- Describe the hero or opportunity of story.
- Introduce other characters tied to hero or opportunity including villains, obstructionists, or partners.
- Describe potential negative outcome(s).
- Highlight any obstacles or problems.
- What significant change occurs?
- What is the impact on customers and partners?
- Is there any shift in industry that results?
- What was the end result?
- What is the call to action for the listener?
If you liked this article, let us know by clicking Like.